1. Do your bit for climate protection projects

Signature Travel has been working together with myclimate since 2006, enabling customers to calculate and offset the CO2 emissions of their flights or boat trips. By paying the calculated amount, you are investing in the supported climate protection projects, which offset the emissions caused by your flight or boat trip by reducing emissions elsewhere. These contributions have been paid into the Migros Group’s M-Climate Fund since 2022.

The M-Climate Fund uses the contributions to support projects implemented within the supply chain of the whole Migros Group. Two projects of particular importance to Signature Travel are briefly presented below:

Climate-friendly rice cultivation in Thailand

Conventional rice cultivation causes significant environmental damage due to greenhouse gases in the form of methane emissions. A project in Thailand is now teaching rice-farming families alternative cultivation methods. The M-Climate Fund pays the additional costs, which are mainly attributable to the training.

More information about climate-friendly rice cultivation in Thailand

Reforestation in Nicaragua

This project involves farming families working together to reforest unused parts of their land near the watershed. This adds value not only in terms of sustainable land usage, but also when it comes to quality of life for the affected families. The project is scheduled to run for 15 years.

More information about reforestation in Nicaragua

2. Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF)

In collaboration with airline company SWISS and the Lufthansa Group, Signature Travel offers you the opportunity to purchase Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF) at 10 branches across Switzerland as part of a pilot project – in order to reduce your carbon footprint even more directly, especially on your outbound and inbound flights.

What is Sustainable Aviation Fuel?

Sustainable Aviation Fuel is the generic term for synthetic fuels that are produced without the use of fossil fuels such as crude oil or natural gas. There are various production methods that use various starting materials, such as the sun-to-liquid method, the biomass-to-liquid method, the HEFA method and the alcohol-to-jet method.

How is SAF produced?

In all these methods, the aim is to reuse carbon dioxide from existing, sustainable biomass or gases by converting it into fuel (kerosene). Currently, the HEFA method is most suitable for the commercial production of SAF. It involves hydrating fat from the food industry (waste cooking fat, e.g. cooking oil) and industrial waste and then refining it like fossil fuels.

To what extent does SAF reduce greenhouse gases?

The use of SAF reduces CO2 emissions by 80%. The remaining 20% is currently still caused by the production and supply processes.

Why is SAF kinder to the environment than standard fuel?

The burning of SAF and fossil kerosene produces identical quantities of CO2, but using SAF creates a CO2 cycle in which biogenic residual materials that have previously removed CO2 from the atmosphere are used for production.

Want to learn more about this? The Lufthansa Group provides an overview and details on this topic.

How much does Sustainable Aviation Fuel cost?

The price for reducing CO2 by one tonne by purchasing SAF is CHF 731.80 (as of January 2023). So investing CHF 50.00 equates to a 68 kg reduction in CO2. Our travel agents will be happy to help you calculate your investment.

How and where can Sustainable Aviation Fuels be purchased?

This is currently possible in our Signature Travel Lounges in Geneva and Lausanne. The project is in the test phase. If this pilot project proves successful, further branches where SAF can be purchased will be added.

Want to purchase Sustainable Aviation Fuel for your holiday trip?

Ask at one of the above branches. The travel agents there will be happy to help.

3. Sustainable overnight accommodation

Given the many different certificates on offer for sustainable and responsible actions, it’s not that easy to gauge the seriousness of certain labels. The certificates often lack transparency and are easy to obtain. For this reason, Signature Travel has decided to use only those certificates that are recognised by the Global Sustainable Tourism Council (GSTC).

Through its activities, the GSTC creates clarity in this jungle of certificates by only recognising those that meet global standards and are serious about certifying companies (e.g. hotels). The GSTC acts like an accreditation authority in this respect. The certification criteria include the following aspects:

  • Energy efficiency
  • Water and waste management
  • CO2 emissions
  • Working conditions
  • Human rights
  • Relations with locals
  • Preservation of the surrounding ecosystem
  • Impact on culture
  • Health and safety
  • Fair business practices
  • Consumer protection
  • Animal welfare


Back to overview Sustainability at Signature Travel